Picau ar y maen, a Welsh teatime treat passed on through generations and still as popular as ever. Perfect for making with the children.
Welsh cakes are a delicious little cake flavoured with spice and dried fruit, baked on a griddle and best served warm, sprinkled with sugar and a lovely pot of tea. A real Welsh treat.
400 grms self-raising Flour
2 Pinches of salt
2 Pinches of Mixed Spice
200 grms Butter
100 grms Currants
2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
- Rub the flour, butter, salt and mixed spice together until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs‚
- Add the currents, golden syrup and eggs and bring the mixture together
- Rap the mixture in cling film and cool in the fridge for 1 hour
- Roll out on a floured bench to 5mm thick then cut to size
- Cook on a hot griddle until they turn brown and puff up in size
- Sprinkle immediately with caster sugar