It’s National Vegetarian Week! In celebration of this, Carden Park’s Executive Head Chef Graham Tinsley MBE has created this mouth-watering blue cheese soufflé recipe. Accompanied by a warm pear and walnut dressing, we love this for dinner parties!
Blue cheese soufflé with a warm pear and walnut dressing
You will need: (makes 4 – 5 soufflés)
60 grms butter
60 grms flour
250 mls milk
1 bay leaf
150 grms grated blue cheese
4 egg yolks
5 egg whites
- Bring the milk to the boil with the onion, cloves, bay leaf and nutmeg.
- Make a roux‚ by heating the butter in a pan then adding flour and stirring until smooth.
- Remove the onion, bay and peppercorn from the milk and gradually add the milk to the roux. This forms a thick white sauce but do ensure that you cook out the flour.
- Take the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheese, chives and egg yolks.
- Whip up the egg white and fold into the soufflé mix in three stages. This keeps the mixture airy.
- Pour the mixture into buttered ramekins lined with grated Parmesan.
- Bake in a Bain Marie at 150 degrees Centigrade for approximately 20 minutes.
40 grms broken walnuts
20 mls sherry vinegar
80 mls olive oil
1 teaspoon of chopped chives
A good pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper
- Peel and core the pear and cut into 1cm dice.
- Add the pear and sugar into a hot frying pan and cook until the pear starts to caramelize.
- Add the sherry vinegar and take off the heat.
- Add the olive oil, walnuts and chives and season with the salt and pepper.
To serve, place a few rocket leaves in the centre of the plates. Place the‚ soufflés on top and pour the dressing around them.