In 2016, the focus on eating healthier is only set to grow bigger and we’ve already seen New Year’s resolution trends such as ‘Veganuary’ take off. But‚ we know that it can be tough to stay motivated in the colder months when warming comfort food is on the menu. So, with that in mind, our talented kitchen team have created a hearty yet healthy dish that can be recreated easily at home. Our mouths are watering already…
Casserole of chicken, sweet potato and peppers with wilted curly kale
You will need:
500g diced chicken
300g sweet potato, peeled and diced to roughly 2cm
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and roughly diced
4 fresh tomatoes
3 tablespoons of tomato puree
750ml chicken stock
100g kale, washed and torn
1 onion, small dice
2 sticks of celery, small dice
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Sprig of thyme, chopped
Salt and pepper
15ml olive oil
- Sweat down the olive oil, onions, celery, thyme and garlic in a heavy bottom pan with a lid on, stirring frequently to prevent from catching.
- When onion mix is opaque, add in diced chicken and colour in pan.
- Add the tomato puree and cook out for a further 3‚ minutes.
- Add fresh tomatoes, sweet potato and peppers.
- Give a good mix around, adding in a little salt and pepper.
- Add chicken stock – just enough to cover the ingredients so you may not need all the stock.
- Place in a pre-heated oven (180 degrees celsius) with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, check and add more stock if required. Return to oven for a further 20 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, fill a separate pan with water and add a good pinch of salt. Bring it to the boil.
- Add washed kale to the boiling water for 1 minute and drain well. Toss in a little olive oil and keep warm.
- Ladle the casserole into serving bowls. Garnish with the wilted kale and serve with warm crusty bread.