Asparagus season in Britain is tantalisingly brief so we’re celebrating here at Carden with a delicious asparagus recipe that’s just perfect for a light summer lunch.
New season asparagus with a crispy poached egg
You will need: (serves 4)
24 spears of asparagus
8 slices of air dried ham
4 free range eggs
Flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs for coating
- Peel the asparagus leaving the bright green spear at the top. Cut off about 1 cm from the base.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the asparagus. Cook until tender then plunge into the ice cold water to stop it from overcooking. Save a little of the cooking water.
- Take 4 pieces of asparagus and put in a blender with a little of the cooking liquor and the butter. Blend to a smooth puree and season.
- Bring a pan of boiling water to a simmer with a little white wine vinegar and poach the 4 eggs – again, plunge into ice cold water to stop cooking. Dry the eggs on a clean cloth and coat in flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs.
- Reheat the asparagus and put 5 pieces on each plate with the ham. Deep fry the egg in hot vegetable oil and place on top of the asparagus. Garnish with the puree.